Music Bursaries for students at South African Universities
Each year the SAMRO Foundation invites applications for bursaries for music studies. The SAMRO Foundation accepts applications from:
- full-time students,
- registered at a South African University, in their
- 2nd, 3rd and 4th years, or honours, masters or doctoral degrees, who are
- Citizens of South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho or Swaziland, who are
- studying for a degree or diploma majoring in music.
Regrettably the SAMRO Foundation is not presently in a position to award bursaries to:
- students from private higher education institutions;
- university students in their 1st year of study;
- students in foundation or bridging programmes.
Each bursary is worth R10 000.
The Foundation will be putting out a call for applications for the 2017 academic year towards the end of November 2016.
The Application Form:
Before applicants start to fill in the form they should source following digital documents that will need to be uploaded before submitting the application:
- Copy of ID Document
- Proof of 2017 registration
- 2016 Examination results or most recent academic record (university transcript)
- 2 Letters of reference (not older than 3 months)
- For Masters and Doctoral applicants - a 5 to 8 page synopsis of your thesis or dissertation.
We request that all communications including reference letters be provided in English
Please only submit what has been requested. Additional material will be discarded.
Disqualification criteria: Applications will not be considered if
- any section of the form is incomplete
- supporting documents are missing
- more than one proposal is submitted per student
- the application is submitted after the deadline of 31 March 2016
Terms and conditions:
- The decisions of the independent adjudication panel will be final, subject only to confirmation by SAMRO Foundation’s Board
- Awarded bursaries will be communicated to the relevant Heads of Department and paid directly to the relevant universities for the relevant year.
- Bursaries are restricted to the degrees/diplomas stated in the applications and may not be transferred to other degrees/diplomas
- Bursary awards are for payment of tuition fees only
- Bursaries may only be used in the academic year in which they are awarded