SAMRO Music Bursaries for students at South African Universities
Bursary requirements for 2019 will be posted in December 2018
During 2018, the SAMRO Foundation awarded bursaries worth over R1-million to music students, with an online tool streamlining the applications and adjudication. For more a report on the bursary recipients click here.
Each year the SAMRO Foundation invites applications for bursaries for music studies. The SAMRO Foundation accepts applications from:
- full-time students
- registered at a South African University, in their
- 2nd, 3rd and 4th years, or Honours and Master’s degrees, who are
- citizens of South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho or Swaziland, who are
- studying for a degree or diploma majoring in music.
Due to limited resources the Foundation cannot support
- Students from private higher education institutions - such as City Varsity; COPA; AFDA; Academy for Sound Engineering; etc.
- university students in their 1st year of study
- students in foundation or bridging programmes
- students specialising in Musical Theatre or Music Therapy
- Doctoral level students.
Each bursary is worth R12 000.
Online music bursary application forms and guidelines will be on the SAMRO Foundation website by the beginning of November 2017.
Please note that you can only apply once you’ve completed registration in 2018 and have all required documentation as set out below.
The Application Form:
Before applicants start to fill in the form they should source following digital documents that will need to be uploaded before submitting the application:
- Copy of ID Document
- Proof of 2018 registration
- 2017 Examination results or most recent academic record (university transcript)
- 2 Letters of reference from current university lecturers (not older than 3 months)
- For Master’s degree applicants – a reference letter from your supervisor & a 5 - 8 page synopsis of your thesis. Please note that this bursary does not cover any coursework or Master’s degree recitals.
We request that all communications including reference letters be provided in English. Please only submit what has been requested. Additional material will be discarded.
Disqualification criteria: Applications will not be considered if
- any section of the form is incomplete
- supporting documents are missing
- more than one proposal is submitted per student
- the application is submitted after the deadline of 30 March 2018
Terms and conditions:
- The decisions of the independent adjudication panel will be final, subject only to confirmation by SAMRO Foundation’s Board
- Awarded bursaries will be communicated to the relevant Heads of Department and paid directly to the relevant universities for the relevant year.
- Bursaries are restricted to the degrees/diplomas stated in the applications and may not be transferred to other degrees/diplomas
- Bursary awards are for payment of tuition fees only
- Bursaries may only be used in the academic year in which they are awarded
For further information, please email email@example.com
Download the Reference Letter Guidelines here